Friday, May 1, 2009

Mad Dash

Today I went back to Francisco's to pick out a color for the curtains and look at some paint samples with Carin from Dr. Vinyl, who will be constructing my dash.

And then... nothing happened.

Francisco didn't have much in the way of fabric samples. He told me where to find the garment district in downtown LA and about how much fabric I'll need to make curtains for the three back windows. The last garment district I visited was in Shanghai. I have yet to write about it, but it went from Awesome to Kill Me Now in exactly four visits. Still, I'll give it a go. I used to sew, so I might still enjoy a shopping venture like this.

Then Carin showed up with a piece of my dash. It was one of the wooden panels covered in a matte black paint. Unfortunately, that's ALL he brought with him. No other samples; not even a piece with the glossy stuff over it to compare.

So the meat of our conversation went like this:

"That looks nice, but I want to make sure I get the deepest black possible. Do you have any samples of other shades?"

"Nope."

"Um... okay?"

We still stood around outside and bullshitted for another 20 minutes, and I went to astronomical lengths to hide my annoyance. What a fucking waste of time. I had my friend drive me all the way out there to look at paint samples that I was supposed to see the last time I went over there, and I still didn't get to see them. Fantastic.

The shade of black didn't look bad, but if I knew this guy was just going to do his own thing anyway, basing his decisions on my color scheme and his experience (let's hope), I could have waited and then bitched if it looked wrong. Apparently that's what I'm going to have to do anyway.

The random hearse-related thing on my mind is the fact that it's been sitting outside for a month and still needs a bath. I'm sure I sound paranoid, but I don't want specs of dirt baked into my top when I finally get it back. I need to get over there and wash it sometime. I'm not exactly sure what to use, although everyone seems to love giving me advice on what not to use.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, kiddo! When the hearse is finally done, you will be rewarded with the greatest Hello Kitty Hearse in the world!

May 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home