Saturday, April 11, 2009

Viva!

Under the guise of doing some "work-related" research, I opted to leave the comfort of the Rio cardroom and check out the Viva car show. Ever since I arrived in Vegas on Wednesday, I've been telling everyone who would listen about my car. In addition to a hearse, I also have black hair and a dry sense of humor. Therefore it was assumed by everyone who met me that I must be in town for the big rockabilly convention that weekend.

Wrong.

One thing I've noticed since I started going out and paying attention is that rockabilly has been one big scene. Sure, there's music, and it's not even that bad. But while the rockabilly schtick is much enjoyed by thousands in my former homes of Austin and Seattle, the whole thing just doesn't do it for me. I don't have the commitment to buy the right clothes, cover myself in tats, spend hours applying thick lashes and red lipstick, style my hair in tricky up-do's, pretend to be poor enough to like PBR...

Despite all that, I went to the damn car show. And like I halfway expected, it was more of a fashion show than a car show. Although chicks resembling Kat Von D outnumbered cars 4-to-1, I scoured the small gated parking lot for decorating ideas. There were more dropped hotrods than souped-up old caddies, but I think I made the most of it. I drank a couple of New Castles, listened to an upbeat performance by Los Benders, and took some picures for the Barbie Dream Hearse Picasa Web Album.

Toward the end of my short tour, I sat down next to a couple of middle-aged men in lawn chairs. I was tired of looking at outfits and wanted to talk to someone. I asked them about their car and told them about mine. They drove down from California in a rusty hotrod they displayed in exchange for admission.

"How much was admission anyway?" they asked.

"Five bucks," I answered. Awkward...

I ended up meeting a handful of car-people at the poker table over the weekend. One guy owned a 1949 Bentley, one of 10 in the US. Another guy who happened to be from my neighborhood in Seattle said he's owned six Cadillacs over the years. Generally speaking, if I just wanted to spend the weekend shooting the shit about cars, this was the place to do it. I'm still nowhere near getting it out of my system though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home