Friday, May 15, 2009

Plans

Admir came by this afternoon to collect funds to keep working on the car. I told him when we talked on the phone that I want him to itemize and bill me for everything: the ceiling, the A/C, and the audio/video. I think he's been walking on eggshells about it for awhile because it's a lot of stuff and it's going to cost a lot. I keep telling him I'm aware of this and that he just needs to draw up an invoice. Francisco did it over a month ago and I survived. Well, today he finally did most of what I told him to, so he'll be able to do what he should have been doing the last few weeks while I'm out of town next week.

One new addition is an 8-inch PVC pipe that he's going to cut and use to cover the A/C tubing. It's going to make a little hump in the floor, but it's going to run alongside a larger hump that's part of the frame of the car, so I'm not too worried about it. He's also using a flange that screws the A/C tubing into the front of the A/C instead of welding it on, which also seems like a good idea if it ever needs to be fixed or replaced.

He's also getting a couple of fuses to protect the electronics in the car. The stereo, TV, and cameras are going to function using the battery, so in the event my battery dies and I need a jump, that energy spike could blow out one or all of the things I have hooked up to it. The fuses will keep that from happening. Sounds good to me.

The parts Admir didn't quote me for were the amps, speakers, and subwoofers. I'm glad he at least covered the wiring because that needs to happen right away, but I'm done browsing. It's time to start buying and building. I told him to spend some time this weekend getting price quotes for the Infinity models we talked about and have an invoice ready for me on Monday before I leave.

I said I was going to buy a TV and haven't yet. I'm definitely going with a 19-inch now. They don't seem that big after doing a little window shopping. The issue still remains that a flat panel sitting perpendicular to the two best seats in the car (the ones facing the rear) doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm wondering if he can install a TV in the casket-loading door without it looking too cheesy. We talked about making the TV tiltable from its spot on the right side, but I'm afraid it won't have enough range to be enjoyed by the people sitting furthest away from it.

I also talked to Francisco, who suggested putting white leather on the face of the seats now, using the argument that vinyl gets very hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I had leather seats in my Camaro and they were still hot and cold until the car temperature was regulated. (They were mostly hot since I lived in Austin!) Still, he said he's going to make an example that will be ready for my viewing pleasure by Monday morning. Incidentally, the white leather is immediately available in large amounts. Of course.

So this weekend leaves me in relative peace to ponder the TV and prepare for a week away from what is quickly becoming my faux-home in Pasadena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home